Thursday, February 18, 2010

All Highs

Day 12: “For as the body is one and has many parts, and all the parts of that body, though many are one body-so also is Christ…so the body is not one part, but many.” 1 Cor. 12:12, 14

It’s nice to have those reminders that I am a part of a community of believers forming the body of Christ. Today I was reminded anew that I am not isolated, but one of many, when I had dessert with my neighbors, a fellow teacher, plus her veteran missionary father visiting from Kenya. The laid back atmosphere was mellow, almost family-like in its comfortableness. The dessert was delicious. After Mrs. Taylor let me lick the serving spoon in the chocolate pudding I was happy I’d ventured out of my quiet home to share some of my evening with believers.

Afterwards I arrived at this community building moral: Community is built through sharing life together, not apart. This means less evenings alone in my bedroom.


Day 13: Mission of the day, striking up genuine conversations with national staff and teachers. Just on my walk to and from the staff room for a cup of strong joe I managed 4 conversations. While this cut into my plan time, it was worth it. One was serious a conversation about the sketchy situational ethics of my Homeroom students, another about a bad/emotional day the teacher I was talking to was having, and the last two mainly joking around with national staff. As I was scooping powdered milk into my coffee Victor encouraged me to stir in more. More milk, more fish, he said. I was then informed that African men like their fishes [women] big. Apparently I am too small for this country. In America, I returned, men like their women small. Laughter followed.

4 Conversations, four comradeship experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment