Saturday, February 6, 2010

60 DAY COMMUNITY CHALLENGE


So, yesterday began a challenge the Lord has lain on my heart. The 60 day community building challenge. In my search for community I’ve decided to ignore the advice in John Mayer’s lyrics to be merely “waiting on the world to change,” but to actively foster change. Rather than to go in search of the ideal community I will grow the one I am already in right here in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Or at least my little bit o’ Dar here on the outskirts of the city center. If I want to live in a group of people dedicated to growing and nurturing each other then I need to take responsibility.

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves had been born of God and knows God...because God is love.” 1 John 4:7, 8

Day 1: Today I am sick with swine flu and I feel my contributions were minimal. Smiled at and chatted in limited Swahili with the mango lady at the bus corner as I bought mini mangos. Offered a mango to the snaggle-toothed 7 year old next door to me. Drank a mug of steamy hot chocolate-on an already steamy afternoon- with a student after school. Gave my housemate a big hug.

Little things, I know, but isn't it the many little interactions that make up a community?

1 comment:

  1. Those little things DO make a big difference! I needed that big hug - and the many others you've given and received from me lately. Our good conversations, and time to process things together... all are truly what make up a community. You're right, it's the little things, the daily things, that cause change - not necessarily the "big obvious" ones, but the ones that help remind me that even here in Tanzania, I truly am "at home." Love you!

    ReplyDelete